Bacon Cheeseburger Soup Recipe
The bacon cheeseburger soup recipe is a testimony to how well-loved bacon and the cheeseburger are.
People like to combine food that they love together. Some combinations may seem weird at first but give it a try and you may be hooked, like this cheeseburger soup.
Adding crispy bacon bits into the soup gives it that extra crunch and using the bacon fat to stir fry the other ingredients impart the smoky flavor so distinct to bacon. Drink this while it is hot.
If possible, purchase bacon that are nitrites-free because they have been linked to certain heart diseases and diabetes. And as bacon has a high fat content, use in moderation. A little goes a long way.
A hot bowl of cheeseburger soup for a chilly night
1 pound lean ground beef or 4 beef patties
2 slices of thick bacon (preferably hickory-smoked)
1 tablespoon beef boullion powder
½ pound mild cheddar cheese, leave at room temperature
¼ cup chopped onion
2 celery stalks chopped
1 large green pepper
4 cups milk
4 tablespoons plain flour
1/8 teaspoon salt and pepper
- Heat up a medium sized cooking pot and fry the bacon. You don't have to add any oil as the bacon has fat
- Fry till the bacon is just crispy. Do not over fry
- Remove and set it aside. Leave the bacon fat in the pan to stir fry the vegetables in.
- Add the celery, onion and green pepper, and stir fry gently until they are soft
- Add the ground beef, cook and stir to prevent big chunks. Cook till the beef browns
- Dissove the beef boullion powder and salt in a little water and pour it over the beef and vegetables
- Sprinkle the flour over the pan, stirring to avoid any lumps. Add a little water (a teaspoon at a time) if the mixture looks dry. Stir until all the flour has been incorporated. If you are apprehensive about the lumps, you can mix the flour into a 1 or 2 tablespoon of water before adding to the soup
- Lower the heat to a slow simmer and add the milk and mix it well with the beef mixture
- Cut the bacon into bits or chunks (according to your preference) and add it back into the soup
- Scoop the beef soup into individual serving bowls or a large soup tureen. Add the shredded cheddar on top of the soup before serving
- The cheese melts and floats on top of the soup leaving you with a creamy cheesy bacon cheeseburger soup