Basic Hamburger Recipe, burger making for beginners
A basic hamburger recipe for a 0.5 inch thick ground beef patty on a soft bun. This is burger making for beginners.
I was told that if I want to be good at something, I should get the basics right. So here is a simple recipe to get beginners started.
Read the tips at How To Cook A Hamburger before beginning.Ingredients
1 pound of ground lean beef
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 soft hamburger buns
Some lettuce leaves and 4 big tomato slices
- Store the ground beef in the refrigerator (not the freezer) to ensure that it is chilled. Bring it out just before mixing
- Place the beef in a mixing bowl
- Add the egg, salt, pepper and bread crumbs
- Use your hands to mix the beef and other ingredients. Do not over-do the mixing, just enough to mix all the ingredients
- Separate the beef mixture into 4 equal portions or 6 portions if you want a smaller pattie. You can use a kitchen scale, a patty mold or by hand and sight.
- Roll into balls and place each one in the middle of a small flat plate. Use your palm to press down on the meatball and shape the sides of the pattie while rotating the plate. Try to get a nice straight edge and even thickness to help cook it evenly
- If this is turning out to be difficult for you, use a hamburger press or patty maker
- Heat up a little oil in a frying pan using medium high heat. Place the patties on to the pan and let it cook for about 5 minutes
- Do not press down hard on the patties
- After 5 minutes, check the cooking side to see if there is browning, if yes, flip the pattie over with a spatula. You can use a fork or spoon to flip the pattie over gently instead of flicking and causing oil to splatter
- Cook the other side for 5 minutes
- If you have a meat thermometer, you can use it might want to check whether the temperature has reached 160 degree F. Remove the patty from the pan, insert the needle into the middle of the patty.
- If the thermometer reads 160 degree F., remove and serve on the bun. Add lettuce leaves or tomato slices if you wish to get a more balanced meal
I hope you try this basic hamburger recipe and let me know how you tweak it.