Bisquick Cheeseburger Pie, Impossibly Easy?
The bisquick cheeseburger pie recipe has appeared on the box of the Bisquick biscuit mix for years. It is called Impossibly Easy Cheeseburger pie and promised to deliver the taste of the cheeseburger baked into a pie.
Bisquick is short for biscuit quick. It is quick because it packages a pre-mix containing flour, hydrogenated oil, baking powder and salt in the appropriate amounts that can then be mixed and baked into a batch of biscuits quickly. You don't have to assemble the ingredients from scratch. Although initially sold as a biscuit pre-mix, it can also be used as base for all sorts of baked goods such as a pie.
The great thing about this bisquick pie is that you don't have to slave over the crust. It creates itself.
Here's the recipe as posted on the Betty Crocker website:Ingredients
1 pound lean ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (4 oz)
1/2 cup Original Bisquick mix
1 cup milk
- Preheat your oven to 400 degree Fahrenheit
- Brown the beef and onions in a saucepan together with the salt until the onions are soft and the ground beef is cooked
- Grease a pie dish with a little oil and spoon the beef and onion mixture into the dish
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese over the top of the mixture
- Add the eggs, milk and Bisquick mix in a mixing bowl or pouring cup
- Mix till there are no lumps
- Pour the Bisquick mixture over the beef mixture in the pie dish
- Make sure the mixture covers the beef and onion mixture evenly
- Bake the dish in the oven for approximately 25 minutes
I think this original recipe needs more vegetables. Throw in some chopped bell peppers or top with slices of tomatoes.
How about using a different cheese? How about spicing it up with exotic seasonings?
Or bake it as individual cheeseburger muffins. They are great for outdoor parties as finger food. These muffins look like mini cheeseburgers. Hmm, looks like we have come full circle.