Turkey Burgers with Tomato Jam
This recipe for turkey burgers with tomato jam starts with a hefty ground turkey pattie stuffed with sharp cheddar cheese served on a toasted kaiser roll with a thick layer of tomato jam made from sun-dried tomatoes.
The pattie is seasoned simply with salt and black pepper with some sauted shallots.
What a gorgeous looking burger
1 large shallot, finely chopped (1/4 cup)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1.5 pounds ground turkey
5 ounces extra-sharp Cheddar, cut into 4 (1/2-inch-thick) slices
4 hamburger or kaiser rolls
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Saute the shallot in the olive oil with salt and pepper in an 8-inch skillet over moderate heat. Stir occasionally for 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to a bowl
- Add the ground turkey and mix gently but thoroughly
- Turn the turkey mixture out onto a sheet of wax paper and divide roughly into 8 equal portions
- Pat 1 portion into a 4-inch wide patty. Place a piece of cheese on top and place a second portion of turkey on top of the cheese. Shape to enclose the cheese inside the double layer patty. Pinch edges together to seal and shape into a single patty
- Repeat to make 3 more burger patties
- Heat an oiled well-seasoned ridged grill pan over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking
- Place burgers onto the grill and cook until it is no longer pink which is about 4 minutes. Flip it over and cook for another 4 minutes
- While the burgers are cooking, heat the kaiser rolls on a baking sheet in oven until crusty. Approximately 5 minutes
- Transfer rolls to a rack to cool slightly
- Cut rolls in half horizontally and spread cut sides with tomato jam
- Serve burgers on the rolls with lettuce