A veggie burger recipe with toasted almonds and firm tofu
A veggie burger recipe using fresh firm tofu and lightly toasted almonds.
A tofu burger recipe suitable for vegetarians and but not vegans as it contain eggs.
1 12-oz. package of firm tofu
Non-stick vegetable oil spray
1/2 cup grated carrots
1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
2 teaspoons peeled minced ginger
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 cup finely chopped toasted almonds
1 large egg white, beaten
4 teaspoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon oriental sesame oil
4 sesame seed buns, toasted
4 tomato slices
4 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 cup alfalfa sprouts
1 teaspoon sesame seeds, toasted
- Remove the tofu and wrap it in a dish towel. Place on a work surface. Weigh it down with a board topped with food cans or weights for about an hour to squeeze excess liquid out. Press down on the towel-wrapped tofu to extract as much liquid as possible. Transfer the tofu to medium bowl.
- Mash the tofu into very small pieces.
- Spray a medium nonstick skillet with nonstick spray and place over medium heat.
- Add grated carrot, sliced green onions, minced ginger and garlic and saute for about 3 minutes or until slightly softened . Remove from heat and let it cool.
- Mix sauted mixture with the almonds, egg whites, soy sauce, sesame oil and sesame seeds and mashed tofu.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide the mixture into 4 equal portions and shape each portion into four patties.
- If you're going to grill the patties, spray the grill rack with non-stick spray, and turn up the barbecue to medium heat.
- If sauteing, spray a large nonstick skillet with nonstick spray and heat over medium heat.
- Place your patties on the grill or in the skillet and cook one side until golden brown and heated through. That's should be about three minutes per side.
- Place 1 patty on each bun bottom. Top each burger with a tomato slice, some alfafa sprouts, spread the mayonnaise and press lightly down with the bun top.
- Serve with some chips or salad and enjoy! :-)